[plt-scheme] PLT Scheme 4.0, Scribble, and PLaneT

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 13 11:02:28 EDT 2007

At Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:51:00 -0700, "Williams, M. Douglas" wrote:
> Today, when I release a collection under PLaneT, it is automatically
> compiled when it is downloaded.  Are there any plans to have PLaneT
> automatically generate the Help Desk documentation from the Scribble
> source at download?  That would provide a nice source only distribution
> mechanism that included the collection documentation.

Yes, that's the intent. The docs would be built to HTML and wired into
Help Desk on install.

> What external tools are required for Scribble?  At first glance it seems
> to generate TeX and would require the TeX tools.  Will such tools be
> available in a consistent manner across all of the various platforms on
> which PLT Scheme runs?

Nothing extra is required to generate HTML.

TeX is useful for getting to paper (or PDF), but you don't have to use
that back-end if you're happy with HTML.

> Is there a good way for those of us with significant collections and
> accompanying documentation to help?

You can start trying it out and letting us know what you see. We have a
stack of problems to work on, already, but more feedback will help us
prioritize. Since it's extensible, you might also end up writing layout
libraries that are useful to others.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.