[plt-scheme] dots

From: Sam TH (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 11 14:11:05 EDT 2007

On 6/11/07, Richard Cobbe <cobbe at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 07:35:16PM +0200, Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema wrote:
> >  I don't understand the reason to  deviate from the standard
> >  prefix notation in scheme.
> >
> >  Why not use
> >
> >  (. a b)
> >
> >  ??
> You'd have to implement a custom reader, as the default reader treats the
> token "." specially.  (And I'm only mostly certain that a custom reader
> would do the trick, though the Algol & Honu languages would seem to
> indicate that custom readers are indeed powerful enough.)

The Algol language doesn't use anything like a reader (it parses the
text in the definitions window with a standard parser), and the #honu
reader is treated specially - it's not installed via the readtable

However, I nonetheless believe that you could make something like that
work, although you would probably have to change the reading of (.

sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.