[plt-scheme] semaphore-value

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Wed Jul 25 11:14:34 EDT 2007

I already built a semaphore struct-type containing a mzscheme's semaphore and a
counter together with a separate semaphore for protection of the counter
increments and decrements. The code is complicated because a dead lock is easily
produced and I am not yet sure I did prevent all possibilities of dead locks. I
do see how semaphore-wait can be used to obtain the a guess of the current value
of the counter, but  I don't want procedure semaphore-counter to decrement the
counter down to zero, for this may unnnecessarily block other threads.
Furthermore this seems a lot of work for something that can be done in a few
processor cycles at the bottom level of MzScheme. The counter is already around
somewhere. Why should I have to duplicate it? ::::))))
Thanks, Jos Koot