[plt-scheme] Parentheses and color

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Wed Jul 4 02:38:32 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robby Findler" <robby at cs.uchicago.edu>
To: "Matthias Felleisen" <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>
Cc: <plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] Parentheses and color

> On 7/3/07, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:51 PM, Jean-Pierre Lozi wrote:
>>

>> > Mmh... I'm not so sure. It's like saying some users are really quick
>> > with vim+latex, so IDEs are useless. Isn't the point of a user
>> > interface to fit both experienced and unexperienced users?
>>

>> It is and I believe DrScheme does so at a _semantic_ level.
>> As for parentheses, it is critical to provide a modicum of
>> support but we must also wean people from the thought that
>> parentheses are syntax (or worse, that they matter).
>
> Put positively, DrScheme should make it easier for the parens to fade
> into the background. For instance, it could make it harder to write
> code that isn't properly indented.

DrScheme already does automatic indentation and that's very nice. But I would
not like to be forced to a specific set of schemes of indentation. Although
DrScheme allows much customization, I never succeeded in making it follow my
preferred scheme, which is n spaces to the right/left for each entry/exit of a
level of indentation., i.e. exactly n spaces for each open left parenthesis. For
instance:
(a b c
.d)
in stead of