[plt-scheme] game libraries

From: Jon Rafkind (workmin at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 3 17:22:40 EDT 2007

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> I/m considering a project that uses Debian, the allegro game library,
> OpenGL, and the allegro plugin for OpenGL (which I haven't yet found in
> Debian -- help welcome).  I plan to work in an exploratory style --
> try something, see what's fun about it, refactor, build on what works
> and discard what doesn't.
>
> Of course I'd like to try all this using Scheme.
>
> Has anyone done this combination before?
> Does Scheme talk to the OpenGL plugin for allegro?  I've been told
>      Scheme talks to allegro and OlenGL separatels, but together?
> Even 3D graphics should be fast enough if I have OpenGL doing the
>      heavy lifting.  Any dissent?
>
> Have you any advice as to how I should go about this?

Alleggl( the opengl thing for allegro ) was merged into some version of
Allegro, I forget if its in 4.2( latest stable ) or the up and coming
4.9 branch( soon to be version 5.0 ). If its already in 4.2 I might as
well add alleggl support into the allegro package on planet. If not you
are welcome to write alleggl bindings or I can do it when I get some
free time. It will most likely interact closely with the allegro package
and might need access to some internal things that aren't exposed to
regular users, though.

FWIW when you use alleggl, the allegro part deals with input/sound and
alleggl deals with the graphics.

Posted on the users mailing list.