[plt-scheme] Project management

From: Corey Sweeney (corey.sweeney at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 2 17:30:20 EDT 2007

On 7/1/07, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> No, not from the interactions window. Programs running in drscheme
> cannot tell that they are running in drscheme (by design!). Otherwise,
> it would be too easy to write a program that would work in the
> development environment, but wouldn't work in the deployment
> environment.

oh!  Is that why it is?  I thought it was a "security through lack of
functionality" type reason :).  I guess that makes some sence.  But it
does make it much harder to develop developer tools then since you
can't "probe" anymore.

I've heard about tools before but that's about it.  I really know very
little about them.  My issue with tools is that I see myself putting
my project on halt, spending a bunch of time learning about "tools",
then usually finding it won't do what I actually want anyway.  {that'
s my typical development cycle for those types of things}

I'm not sure how easy this would be, but if it's something quick,
would you be willing to write me a "skeleton tool"?  something that
hooks to the drscheme GUI interface somewhere, that when activated,
opens a new window, and then tries to open a new file "file1.ss" in
it?

If have examples of the primatives, I can start trying to play around.

Corey

P.S. Happy Birthday

> You can, however, make a tool that would do that.
>
> Open file and open new window already have keybindings, of course. See
> the menu shortcuts. Also, control-x control-f opens a new file. (I
> don't think that there is anoter way to open a new window, but you
> coudl add one with a keybindings file).
>
> Finally, just as a side-note, adding sleeps to avoid timing issues is
> a sure way to write buggy code. But, even if you do go to the tool
> route, you wouldn't need them. There's only one thread involved.

I agree, race conditions can be bad.

--
((lambda (y) (y y)) (lambda (y) (y y)))