emacs key bindinge -- WAS: Re: [plt-scheme] Project management

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 2 12:29:06 EDT 2007

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> There's an old joke about a mathematician giving a talk.  He says
> "Obviously", and then writes an equatino on the blackboard.  He stops
> and looks at it for a while, and then walks out of the room to his
> office.  For a while the audience heard sounds of intense pacing,
> getting down refernce books, shuffling papers, cursing and scratching
> out errors.  Then he returns, and announces, Yes.  It is indeed obvious.

I heard this story about Norbert Wiener. It is one of many stories in
the article "The Greatest Mathematician in the World": Norbert Wiener
Stories, by Bruce Jackson, published in Western Folklore, Vol. 31, No.
1. (Jan., 1972), pp. 1-22, but that reference does not claim that all of
the stories are true.

Some years ago I met a distant cousin of my wife, and in conversation I
learned that she worked at MIT for a while and had been Norbert Wiener's
secretary. I asked her if that story was true. She said that she
couldn't confirm it, but she could say that she could always tell
whether he had had lunch or not, by the state of his tie.

Shriram and I do not wear ties to campus. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.