[plt-scheme] boxes?

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 12:00:35 EST 2007

--- "Geoffrey S.Knauth" <geoff at knauth.org> wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2007, at 22:17, Gregory Woodhouse wrote:
> > This may sound ridiculous, but in the language I'm used
> to using in
> > my "day job" it is possible to share variables between
> separate
> > processes. Does that make any sort of sense in a
> functional context?

If by functional you mean no mutation then it doesn't
really make sense as these values could never change.
Having programmed concurrent programs using shared memory
(in Java) and message passing (in many languages) I much
prefer the latter.

> This made me think of another question:  How does or will
> Scheme
> handle transactional memory when it becomes more
> commonplace?

>From my skimming of the STM papers I don't think it will be
an issue, other than the usual ones impure languages expose
if the programmer isn't careful.

N.

AIM: noelhwelsh
Blogs: http://monospaced.blogspot.com/  http://www.untyped.com/untyping/