[plt-scheme] Getting wine from water

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 10 04:30:20 EST 2007

> If you are writing a compiler in language X that does not support
> feature Y can your compiler implement feature Y.
> Specific question:
> If you are writing a compiler in Java (which does not support tail call
> optimisation) .........

Hi Wooks,

In the particular case about tail optimization, see Dan Friedman's "The
Role of the Study of Programming Languages in the Education of a

The whole talk is Good Stuff.  Starting around page 14 of his lecture he
addresses a topic I think you'll especially like.

His paper on "Trampolined Style" is one possible way to make tail-calls

It's the approach I used in my toy project "pyscheme" to get tail calls to
work in an environment (Python) that didn't support it.  You might like to
see some notes I wrote on it here:

Best of wishes!

Posted on the users mailing list.