[plt-scheme] Symbolic links for OS X - a suggestion

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Jan 8 13:26:57 EST 2007

On Jan  8, Gregory Woodhouse wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
> > You could create the link manually every time you install a new
> > version, or you could rename the PLT tree every time you drag+drop
> > a new one.
>
> In fact, I do this. I suppose running mzscheme manually or using mzc
> are relatively uncommon, and these are the only real reasons I can
> see for wanting to put PLT Scheme in the search path. I almost
> always work in DrScheme, and part of my "installation routine" is to
> drag it to the dock. The link I set up is just
>
> ~:$ ls -l /usr/plt
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  31 Jan  7 15:33 /usr/plt -> /Applications/
> PLT Scheme v369.3

Assuming that you only want the highest version installed for that
link, you can write a quick script to make this (untested):

  #!/bin/sh
  link="/usr/plt"
  recent="`ls -d /Applications/PLT* | tail -1`"
  echo "Updating $link to point at $recent"
  rm -f "$link"
  ln -s "$recent" "$link"

put that in your path, and a single command will get it right after an
installation.