[plt-scheme] Symbolic links for OS X - a suggestion

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Jan 8 12:51:43 EST 2007

On Dec 19, Gregory Woodhouse wrote:
> This is just a suggestion. When I install PLT Scheme (at least the
> pre-release versions), the command line tools end up in a somewhat
> inconvenient directory (from the point of view of using the terminal
> window/shell)
>
> ~:$ cd /Applications/PLT\ Scheme\ v369.1/bin
> /Applications/PLT Scheme v369.1/bin:$ ls mzc
> mzc
>
> Of course, I can create a symbolic link to something like /usr/plt/
> bin, and maybe this happens for released versions, and perhaps this
> already happens (I think it is the default for Ubuntu).  A secondary
> issue is that managing these links "by hand" can be awkward when
> there are many pre-lease versions. Would it be possible to have the
> installer create an updated link to something like /usr/plt-prelease
> that could conveniently be included in PATH?

The OSX installer is different than the Linux thing -- the former is
just a drag-and-drop directory, no administrative cleanup.  On Linux
it's more popular to have the files spread according to the FHS.  This
kind of setup (the Linux thing) makes it difficult/impossible to have
multiple versions installed system-wide -- for that, it is easier to
have the single-directory installation kind which is essentially the
same as the default OSX thing.

You could create the link manually every time you install a new
version, or you could rename the PLT tree every time you drag+drop a
new one.