[plt-scheme] Compiler optimizes Typed Scheme?!?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 26 18:48:05 EST 2007

On Feb 26, 2007, at 4:45 PM, Sam TH wrote:

>> Humm, maybe I understand. You can't just mix typed and untyped scheme
>> in the same module, can you?
>
> Right.  Typed or untyped is a module-level decision.

Contrary to popular rumors it isn't clear yet what mixing typed and
untyped code without boundaries means. (This is becoming known as
"gradual typing" though I'm conjecturing that "complete confusion"
would be much better. "-)

As you may know and conjecture, we really try to do things here on
very firm foundations. This foundation requires a boundary between
the two kinds of code that allows the injection of contracts. Kathy
Gray's work on Dynamic in Java is the closest in the direction of GT
that I conjecture is truly sound.

See Sam's Dynamic Languages Symposium/OOPSLA 2006 paper. -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.