[plt-scheme] Standard ML in PLT Scheme

From: Chongkai Zhu (czhu at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 22 09:08:11 EST 2007

Marco Morazan wrote:
> Matthias has given you a good piece of advice.
>
> A question that is sure to come up: Why, after static type checking,
> would you turn everything into a dynamically typed world?
>
> If you have a good argument for this, I would be delighted to hear it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marco

1 Static type checking is off by default. Even it is used, only ML code
is type checked, and there is no contract on the interface between ML
and Scheme to protect you.

2.Dynamically typed code is the only thing available in PLT at run time.
Even typed Scheme turns everything into a dynamically typed world after
static type checking.

3. In theory, it is possible to compile ML into typed Scheme. But
unit.ss and plt-match.ss are heavily used in the result Scheme code.
None of these two is available in typed Scheme for now.

Chongkai

Posted on the users mailing list.