[plt-scheme] getting better speed with JIT

From: Jens Axel Soegaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Sun Dec 2 17:02:08 EST 2007

Prabhakar Ragde skrev:
> Jens Axel Soegaard wrote:
>
>> However, since it is illegal to mutate a module-required
>> variable, the compiler can safely inline the + in:
>>
>>   (require mzscheme)
>>   (define (foo a b) (+ a b))
>
> Thanks. This is pretty much what the text in the mzc compiler manual
> says (even though that's a different beast from the JIT, no?).

Different beast. Same problem.

> I think this should be more widely advertised. --PR

I vaguely recall a discussion on whether or not it were
a good idea to change the default. Since mutation of the
standard bindings rarely are needed, it makes sense
to have the restrictive semantics as the default.

The spirit of such a change is in my view similar to
making cons produce immutable pairs.

--
Jens Axel Søgaard