[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (gknauth at sunlink.net)
Date: Thu Aug 30 14:06:45 EDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 18:13, Marco Morazan wrote:
> In my small circle of curriculum influence there is a great deal of
> resistance to the Ht-series. One of the major reasons is recursion. I
> was told many times that it is too hard for beginners.

To my surprise Monday, first day of the semester, a group of complete
novice programmers understood recursion.

Tell this to your resistors:  Recursion is easier to understand if
you are young, or young at heart, if closing your eyes and just
"using the force" feels natural.  Recursion is hard if a person
thinks it is hard and then works too hard on expansions.  A person
who is uptight will have problems with recursion, because recursion
involves trust.  You focus on this (first L) and trust that what
happens with (rest L) is correct as though it has already happened,
even as the devil is screaming in your ear that operations on (rest
L) are still in the future.

Posted on the users mailing list.