[plt-scheme] The Lambda Calculus behind functional programming

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 12:19:09 EDT 2007

Corey Sweeney wrote:
> I would propose that the lack of visible end results in LC would be
> due to the lack of a good IDE.

Aside from the DrScheme reduction semantics module, you could use this
educationally-oriented "IDE" for the lambda calculus:

   http://worrydream.com/AlligatorEggs/

Check out the "Theory" subheading if you haven't seen this before.

While I'm not sure alligators are the way to go, I don't see why kids
shouldn't be taught simple lambda calculus reduction at about the same
time as they learn algebraic substitution.  It relies on the same core
abstraction principle, after all.  They could solve some of their math
problems both ways.  Make it fun, connect it to something recognizable,
and they're primed for future enlightenment.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.