[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 18:01:07 EDT 2007

> Like you, however, I have challenged Tony Hoare in public to
> give me numbers of failures before he pushes his software
> verification agenda one more time with a silly invited talk.
> He was stunned hearing this challenge coming from me but
> not one of the 60 attendees at the Federated Logic had a
> good response and two voiced their support for my challenge
> publicly.

Although I understand the need for numbers, why challenge the need for
verification? Proofs often give rise to insights. They did for me in
more than just a few occassions.

> That's #1. And it is professionals like us who have failed to
> bring across to the general public and to managers that
> programming is not an 'idiot' job (though 'idiots' can write
> things like programs for their own amusement and that nobody
> else uses).

There may be a bit too much unfairness here. Is it possible that we
have delivered the message, but that some have chosen to ignore it?
There may be a bit of "just get anyone in here that claims to be able
to deal with this" attitude out there.

> #2 is that we have failures at an order of magnitude that
> -- due to software's flexible nature -- can be made to look
> like sufficiently partial successes that everyone accepts.

Does this not beg for verification? Passing failures as successes
seems to suggest the need for verification IMHO.

Cheers,

Marco

Posted on the users mailing list.