[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Joe Wells (jbw at macs.hw.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 27 14:35:01 EDT 2007

"Todd O'Bryan" <toddobryan at mac.com> writes:

> There are several reasons for the problems in American education.

Indeed.  I suggest however that is has nothing to do with the
proportion of women vs. men doing the teaching.

I admire the Teach Scheme efforts to add some small amount of sanity
to part of the system, given the enormity of what they are up against.

--
Joe

P.S.  For a in-depth analysis of what has gone wrong with the
(so-called) “education” system in the USA, I strongly recommend John
Taylor Gatto's “The Underground History of American Education”
(available online).  This is a detailed historical analysis of the
system from its origins through roughly the 60s and 70s (with minor
discussion of what has changed after then, which is not much).  It has
a lot of fascinating (and terrifying) quotes by such people as
president Woodrow Wilson, “education” leaders like Dewey and Cubberley
(leader of Stanford's “School of Education” from 1917 through 1933),
and the officers of the Carnegie, Ford, and Rockefeller foundations
and other bodies like the RAND corporation.  If you want the short
summary, you might try Gatto's “The 7-Lesson Schoolteacher”.

Posted on the users mailing list.