[plt-scheme] Re: how do you include documentation with a teachpack or planet collection?

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 26 08:31:48 EDT 2007

At 6:21 PM -0400 6/13/07, I wrote:
>I'm reading the doc in the help desk about creating and contributing
>a PLaneT collection.  I've written up an info.ss file, a doc.txt
>file, and some HTML doc in a folder named in html-docs.  I've
>converted the whole directory into a .plt file, either with mzc
>--plt and with planet --create-archive.  I've tried installing the
>thing, either with (require (planet ...))
>or with "Install .plt file...".  I get the function definitions, but
>the Help Desk doesn't seem to see any of the documentation.

I now also have an hdindex file inside the html-docs folder, but I
must be missing something very basic.

As far as I can tell, all the documentation for the standard-issue
teachpacks is in $PLT_DIR/doc/teachpack/ .  The standard-issue
teachpacks themselves are in $PLT_DIR/collects/teachpack/htdp/ ,
except that those are really three-line stubs that require something
from PLT_DIR/collects/htdp/ , which happens to include a "compiled"
subdirectory with all the .zo files.  I don't know if I can mimic
this distribution of files into three different directories with my
own .plt installation, and I'm not sure why I should want to except
that it works for the standard-issue stuff.

As far as I can tell, when I use "Language->Add Teachpack->Add
Teachpack to List", it copies the source code of the specified
teachpack into $USER_PLT_DIR/371/collects/installed-teachpacks,
creates a "compiled" subdirectory within this if it's not already
there, and compiles the teachpack into this "compiled" subdirectory.
I can do that, and I can create a .plt file that puts all the right
files in the right places (assuming there's already a
$USER_PLT_DIR/371/collects/installed-teachpacks directory and the
user specifies it as the place to unpack the .plt file), but the Help
Desk still doesn't recognize anything in my teachpack.

Here's my goal: create a file (presumably a .plt) that my
English-major students can install, in one easy step (preferably
without needing to specify WHERE to install it; it should know by
itself), after which
(a) the "tiles.ss" teachpack will appear on the list of available
teachpacks in the teaching languages (I don't care whether it's on
the left side or the right), and
(b) when they add that teachpack, they get a properly compiled
version (presumably .zo), and
(c) when they add that teachpack and type the name of one of its
functions into the Help Desk, they'll see the documentation.  (If
they could also see the documentation WITHOUT adding the teachpack
first, that would be nice but not required.)
Is that possible?

--
					Stephen Bloch
					sbloch at adelphi.edu