[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Aug 26 02:26:33 EDT 2007

Hi Richard,
I quit working (for money that is) about 10 years ago.
I don't know what happened to the L.A. Unified payroll.
What I wanted to point at is that, as I have seen lots of times for myself and
other people, that in a big project of any kind, not only in automatization, the
organization of that project is of major importance for succes. I only wanted to
show a simplified caricature of a situation in which the interests of managers
at the top and executives on the floor are not well alligned. The bigger the
organization, the greater the chance that interests at different levels of the
organization are going to conflict with each other and communication goes from
multidirectional to bidirectional or even to to unidirectional. I have seen
managers taking decisions with the so called 'helicopter vision', attaching
prestige to their project, not able to foresee technical (or other kinds of)
problems but thrusting that the 'details' will be sorted out by the techniciens.
Of course we need management with vision beyond what has been done before, but a
wise management asks for studies and takes the reports seriously before taking
decisions that cannot be reversed. It even may happen that a manager or
important client briefly looks into a report and not seeing what he or she had
hoped for, asks the professional to addapt the report such as to better fit with
the decisions that had already been made before the studies where ordered. (As
you may have guessed, I have been in that situation, but, stubborn as I am, did
not addapt my report :)
I did not study the case of the L.A. Unified payroll and probably I am not
qualified to claim the competence for making such a study. Therefore I cannot
have even the slightest idea of what went wrong there.
Jos Koot