[plt-scheme] Extending

From: Matt Jadud (jadudm at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 22:43:52 EDT 2007

On 8/23/07, Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> I presume you mean "instrument".

It's been a long day. :)

> What were your findings re. BlueJ?

It was difficult to draw good statistical results from the data
collected regarding their compilation behavior because the data was
partial---opportunistic, if you will---and only collected when
students were using public PCs on campus. This meant in-lab behavior
and any programming they did outside of class, on-campus. From what I
could see, I  had a complete picture of some students programming
throughout the term, and for others, very little. It isn't an easy
observation to carry out, and it is rich/complex data to work with.

That said, there were clear qualitative differences. At the least, I
believe that visualization of these behaviors can have diagnostic
value in formative contexts in the classroom, and possible other
applications. As soon as I'm a bit more settled (i.e. I have moved
into my apartment, etc.), I'll be diving into some of that data again.

I think I might have an opportunity this term to pilot the capture of
some of the same kind of data in Scheme. I suspect, from some things I
saw at IUB, that there will be some similarities of behavior, but I'd
rather have some real data in my hands to start assessing that.

Posted on the users mailing list.