[plt-scheme] dotted structs again

From: jos koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Apr 8 10:37:19 EDT 2007

Hi,
Finally I managed to prepare a language for dotted struct-field-references and assignments that do what I want them to do. See attachments. For example:
(module example records
 (define-values (make-person person?)
  (make-record-type 'person #f '(name maried-with children)))
 (define jacob (make-person 'jacob #f ()))
 (define maria (make-person 'maria #f ()))
 (define (mary man woman)
  (set! man.maried-with woman)
  (set! woman.maried-with man))
 (define (birth mother father name)
  (let ((child (make-person name #f ())))
   (set! mother.children (cons child mother.children))
   (set! father.children (cons child father.children))))
 (define (names-of-children person)
  (map (lambda (person) person.name) person.children))
 (mary jacob maria)
 (birth maria jacob 'son)
 (birth maria jacob 'doughter)
 (printf "~s~n" (names-of-children maria)))
(require example) ;prints (doughter son)

BUT this has a high price: field-names must be looked up during run-time such as to relate them to those of the structure actually present in the variable of the field-ref variable.field-name.field-name.field-name etc.
Because of this required lookup, it makes no sense to memorize accessor and mutator procs. In stead I made the lookup directly access an assoc-list that pairs field-names with their values.

I am still working on a mod that allows (lambda (person) person.name) to be written as .name This should not be too difficult.

(((((lambda(x)((((((((x x)x)x)x)x)x)x)x))
    (lambda(x)(lambda(y)(x(x y)))))
   (lambda(x)(x)x))
  (lambda()(printf "Greetings, Jos~n"))))