[plt-scheme] the "[" as a parenthis charactor

From: Richard Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 22 19:05:52 EDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 02:48:30PM -0500, Robby Findler wrote:
> At Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:43:37 -0500, "Corey Sweeney" wrote:

> > A note, something other then control-[ might be desirable as control-[ is
> > "escape".  If the rest of the world decides to follow along, this can cause
> > problems with editing from a terminal emulators/ssh, and especially emacs as
> > most of it's commands start with escape.  Alt-[ seems to be already bound
> > for something.

Will this actually be a problem?

As far as I know, one cannot run DrScheme within a terminal/emacs/ssh
session.  More precisely: one can certainly type 'drscheme' within a
terminal/emacs/ssh session.  Once DrScheme is started, however, the user's
keyboard input doesn't go through the terminal/ssh but rather through the
X/VNC/whatever connection.  Most of those protocols generally pass
keystrokes like C-[ through without any difficulty.  (I'm ignoring bindings
of C-[ in your window manager and similar situations, as one cannot expect
apps to work around those keybindings.)

If the *mzscheme* REPL did this, then problems could arise, but it doesn't
appear to treat C-[ specially.

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.