[plt-scheme] cutting and pasting snips

From: Corey Sweeney (corey.sweeney at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 21 10:43:28 EDT 2006

I can give a reason someone might want to to disable the multimedia format.
The last time I checked, mred could not run files that had been created with
drscheme, and had multimedia snips in them.  I.E.  If your program had snips
in it, you then had to ship it to the client with a drscheme window poping
up behind it, and tell them to ignore the window in the background.

I don't know if this has changed (I did just try to check mred in 352 a
muinite ago to see if it now works with multimedia files, and got the error
message:

dynamic-require: name is not provided: snip-class by module:
|,/home/corey/.plt-scheme/352/collects/guibuilder/readable|

, which strangely is the same error message i was getting when running
drscheme in 352.6 and 352.7, but not in drscheme 352).

If it won't run in mred, that seems to me to be a reasonable motive to stay
with text.

Corey

P.S.  I'll also toss out the idea of a external tool that converts
multimedia files on stdin to text files on stdout.

On 10/17/06, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> I find it frustrating that you want to cripple drscheme because your
> automatic grading script are written poorly. Still, if you wanted to do
> that, you could make a tool that would do so. You'd add a mixin to the
> definitions window that overrode on-insert and rejected insertion of
> non-text. I don't think we'll be doing ourselves that in any future
> release.
>
> I'm sure this has come up before, but can you remind me why you don't
> want to use scripts that work with such graphics? (Note that writing
> your scripts in drscheme and using `mred' to run them should make it
> easy.)
>
> Robby
>
> At Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:00:05 -0400, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> > Can we please have as a default that anything cut out of the
> > Interactions window when it is running one of the teaching languages is
> > just plain text and not a snip? Despite repeated instructions to the
> > contrary, some of my students are creating examples and tests by
> > evaluating expressions and then pasting the results into the Definitions
> > window. The resulting file is unreadable as a text file, which is how we
> > are processing it. We are of course yelling at the students and docking
> > them marks, but I'd much rather just not have the problem in the first
> > place. Many thanks. --PR

((lambda (y) (y y)) (lambda (y) (y y)))