[plt-scheme] cutting and pasting snips

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 17 21:07:06 EDT 2006

Robby Findler wrote:

> I'm sure this has come up before, but can you remind me why you don't
> want to use scripts that work with such graphics? (Note that writing
> your scripts in drscheme and using `mred' to run them should make it
> easy.)

I don't object to doing this, but I asked about it earlier and got no
response. My earlier question was this: when I am in DrScheme and choose
"Print" from the menu, I get a fixed representation printed out (which,
for the sample code I chose, used too large a font, and the lines
wrapped around). Can I script this so that it can be done with 200+
student submissions, and how much control do I have over the look?

Note that I have a solution which works when student submissions are
text files, and there's no reason for them not to be text files, given
the questions I am asking, which at this point do not involve images or
anything like that. More generally, if I want to post-process student
submissions in any way, it's usually pretty clear how to do it with a
text file, and not so clear when it is something more complicated. (I
have wxme-to-text, Eli, thank you. This is what my TAs are using when
they discover a problem.)

Finally, I just don't understand why beginning students (as opposed to
experienced Scheme programmers) would need the ability to paste snips
with a textual look but a non-textual representation into the
Definitions window. Lots of things are not present when one is running a
teaching language; why is the absence of this particular feature
considered "crippling", especially when they are not using it
deliberately? --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.