[plt-scheme] Problem fetching a URL

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 11 16:41:18 EDT 2006

> > Do you (or does anyone else) have a reference to an rfc or similar
> > that actually says what the syntax for queries is supposed to be?
> > rfc3986.txt (the latest url syntax rfc I know of) doesn't seem to say.
> The HTML 4.01 spec defines the MIME type application/x-www-form-urlencoded:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#form-content-type

Yes, and that's where I'm getting confused, because it says right there

     The control names/values are listed in the order they appear in the
     document. The name is separated from the value by `=' and name/value
     pairs are separated from each other by `&'.

... but on the other hand, I see that there was a recommendation from the
W3C that people should switch to semicolons:

Ok, I understand now.  This is really a problem with legacy cgi libraries
more than anything else.  Recent versions of cgi-parsing libraries from
other language communities (like Python and Perl) now handle semicolons
and ampersands, so it's really the laggards that are causing a problem.
I accept the current default state of current-alist-separator then; it
makes sense.

Posted on the users mailing list.