[plt-scheme] Sound Card Access

From: Jon Rafkind (workmin at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 1 20:59:52 EST 2006

elijah rutschman wrote:
> Hello all,
> My apologies for the previous message, I didn't change the e-mail
> subject to something relevant, and my message was sent quoted.  Here
> is what I was getting at:
> I am interested in the possibilities of using Scheme as a synthesizer.
> Does anyone know of a way to access the sound card for audio output
> (and maybe input too) from within Scheme?
> I would be very happy to hear if anyone else has made any attempts at
> something like this or can point me in the right direction.
Im sure there are many ways but you can use the foreign function
interface to scheme to talk to any C libary that handles sound. Two ways
I know of to achieve this are the esd.ss file in collects/ffi/examples
which is an interface to the ESD sound system available in most unix's.
Another library is my allegro.plt planet package. It is a high level
library that deals with graphics, input, and sound but you can use it
just for sound if you wish.

Posted on the users mailing list.