[plt-scheme] xxx chooses MzScheme as preferred language

From: Brent Fulgham (bfulg at pacbell.net)
Date: Wed May 31 19:10:26 EDT 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Bigloo isn't Scheme per se. To achieve such numbers, you're programming
> in a special-purpose language, especially when it comes to floats. You
> write (fp+ ...) everywhere. In Bigloo you declare types at module
> boundaries.

Perhaps a better example would be Chicken, which is as far as I know fully
compliant with the R5RS (and implements many SRFI's):

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all〈=chicken&lang2=mzc

It is quite a bit faster than Mzc (in the 2x to 10x range) in most cases, though
still far behind C (in the 30x to 77x range).

This is without too many hand-tweaks, although I do notice a few Lisp-style
type and optimization declarations at the top of a few of the submitted files.

> Stalin is supposedly even better. None of us has gotten it to work,
> though I have watched Quod use it.

I had Stalin running at one point, though it looks like I broke it recently, since the scores
are all errors at the moment.  It's less interesting since it is R4RS only, and
does not support everything MzScheme/Chicken does.

-Brent

Posted on the users mailing list.