[plt-scheme] Some thoughts about GC and realtime aplications

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Fri May 19 11:18:50 EDT 2006

Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>
>> - Scheme has been used to control Disney rides in Florida, which are
>> as intensive as games I assume;
>

> Can you provide a reference for this? I won't ask for one for the
> military application. It doesn't seem to be mentioned at schemers.org.

Walt Disney Imagineering used Scheme, as well as Squeak, as interactive
scripting languages for the Aladdin Magic Carpet Ride, a virtual reality
"ride" experienced via a VR headset - so essentially, it's a game with
an unusual UI.  The core application was written in C++, though.

See "Disney's Aladdin: first steps toward storytelling in virtual reality":

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=237257&dl=ACM&coll=ACM

...although I can't vouch for its relevance as my ACM account is
currently lapsed.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.