[plt-scheme] Re: On PLaneT packages and compatible upgrades

From: pedro pinto (pedro.e.pinto at gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 9 19:06:59 EDT 2006

For me, its clear that package users should  be able to use minor version to
specify exactly which package they want. It is almost impossible for a
package author to ensure that his upgrade will not brake any existing
clients.

If I have written and debugged a complex app using several 3rd party
packages the last thing I need is for one of the package authors to break my
perfectly fine application by releasing a new version that solves a bug for
which I already had a work around and on which my app was relying. I do not
care about the upgrade if my application is is already working.

Unfortunatly, the real contract between the package and the client is the
package implementation.

-pp