[plt-scheme] Unix install

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu May 4 01:28:33 EDT 2006

At Thu, 4 May 2006 02:23:17 +0300, Lauri Alanko wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:29:15PM +0000, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> > Here's a suggestion:
> >
> >  * Ask us about the requirements that we know
> >
> >  * Add the requirements that you know and we don't
> >
> >  * Design a format and build tools that work better.
> >
> > Then we'll all be happier.
>
> Well, one requirement that I'm interested in is whether it's really
> necessary for an archive to be able to contain arbitrary code for
> handling queries and installation. The price of such flexibility is that
> static analysis of archives stumbles on Rice's Theorem...

No. I agree that it was a bad idea.

> But anyway, if you want concrete suggestions, the jar/xpi approach seems
> best to me:

Speaking for myself, I need an implementation (code, docs, etc.), not
just suggestions; there's no chance I'll get to it myself.

Maybe someone else on the list thinks that this is enough of a problem
to fix it, though, and they may find the suggestion useful.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.