[plt-scheme] Unix install

From: Ari Pollak (ari at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue May 2 18:06:33 EDT 2006

Lauri Alanko wrote:
> The default scenario for "make install" in autotools-based software is
> to install under /usr/local, and I certainly think it makes sense for
> PLT docs to be installed under /usr/local/doc/plt.

I felt the need to chime in here. Yes, /usr/local would be the default in an
autoconf-based system, but in theory (and supposedly how it is now), almost
all of the people that wouldn't be downloading PLT binaries would be
installing their distribution's packages, and all of the Linux distributions
that I know of use /usr/share/doc for their own purposes. There's no standard
autoconf option for documentation directories, and it's not in the FHS, but
it's generally accepted that installed documentation not in man or info format
just goes into /usr/share/<app>, and distributions can create symlinks inside
/usr/share/doc/<app> to HTML documentation and such. This requires the least
amount of customization, and the documentation is optimized to be viewed in
help-desk anyway.

Posted on the users mailing list.