[plt-scheme] Scheme contradictions

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue May 2 21:57:39 EDT 2006

Glenn Ambrose <glennambrose at hotmail.com> wrote at 2006-05-03T01:05:25+0000:
> At the moment much of the documentation already out there assumes much from
> the user already. The documentation for Webit, PLT-web-server and such are
> not written for someone just learning and definately don't come with the
> hand holding that javascript, PHP or any other of the more popular languages
> come with. Scheme documentation is very terse. I realise that detailed
> documentation and tutorials would be very time consuming to produce but it
> also seems to be a difficulty of having everyone working alone and
> separately.

The Scheme Wikis -- "http://schemecookbook.org/" and
"http://community.schemewiki.org/" -- seem like good places for people
to develop documentation and tutorials collectively.

Regarding other questions about adoption of Scheme, that all seems to be
an FAQ of the "comp.lang.scheme" newsgroup.  My own short answer is that
mainstream uptake *could* happen, with the right killer app-- and in the
meantime, Scheme will be used for real work by those rare people who
know how to make Scheme a big win.

--
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/