[plt-scheme] 3rd-8th Grade

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 00:24:14 EST 2006

On 3/19/06, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> I must admit that I am totally confused by Carl's response. He is one
> of my PhD students. Perhaps he has been out of the classroom for too
> long; perhaps the deadline stress of OOPSLA was getting to him "-)

Apparently my intention didn't come across well to anyone.  I wasn't
trying to challenge anyone's viewpoint and maybe my claims about the
virtues of picture programming came across too strong - I didn't mean
to say "it's just as good, how dare you say otherwise", what I was
trying to say was "I don't see what's wrong with it, what are you
seeing that I'm not?"  Sorry for the confusion.

I still don't see a clear reason why it can't be done well.  I don't
see why we couldn't make a "shapes" language level for DrScheme that
was essentially the same as MzScheme (or to start with something
simpler, Beginning Student) but done entirely "drag and drop".  Until
someone does it, I of course completely admit I have no solid evidence
if it would be good or bad.

--
Carl Eastlund
"Cynical, but technically correct."