[plt-scheme] Native code generation and immutable pairs

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 11 10:32:59 EST 2006

On Mar 11, 2006, at 1:20 AM, Jim Blandy wrote:

> It bothers me that the more I think about this stuff, the more I
> appreciate ML...

There is nothing wrong with liking ML. They have a lot of things right.
Schemers could learn a lot from them, if they didn't have this
knee=jerk reaction "types are silly." But note the disagreement between
SML and OCAML. The former supports ref cells only; the latter supports
mutable slots in an structure, but structures are immutable by default.
OCAML's model is superior to SML's for pragmatics. SML's is superior to
Scheme and friends by theory (See Crank & Felleisen, POPL 9x). In this
particular case, Scheme is suffering from conflating allocation and
parameterization (lambda parameters). It's never too late too learn
should be the Scheme motto.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.