[plt-scheme] Native code generation and immutable pairs

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 10 10:02:35 EST 2006

I think the problems come from the prevalence of cons. There are many
primitives that produce cons pairs and many places where cons cells are
used in libraries that could be immutable for nearly every use (and
thus reap those benefits) but the one or two uses where mutable cons
cells are necessary makes everyone pay.

If we had instead, from the beginning, had immutable cons cells and one
would have had to say "mutable-cons" or something like that to get a
mutable pair (and the primitives otherwise produced immutable cons
cells), we wouldn't even be having this discussion and probably
everyone would be happy.

Robby