[plt-scheme] Printing

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 1 17:07:02 EST 2006

On 3/1/06, Evangelos Tsagkas <lunluc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/1/06, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> > There isn't any support I'm aware of for that, beyond writing your own
> > reader and using that in a custom language level, sorry. (You're asking
> > for a change to the syntax of the language, right?)
>
> Ha ha! i guess i am...
>
> Had it not been for that last question of yours it probably would have
> taken me some time to realize how stupid my question was. i guess
> Socratic dielectic works ;-)

It's not really stupid, programming languages should ideally have
better support for internationalization.  And parameterized syntax
isn't a new idea, or even that hard: we already have both
case-sensitive and case-insensitive syntax for PLT Scheme.  So there's
nothing wrong with asking for alternate numeric literals.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an implementation if I were you (unless
you write it yourself), but you can certainly ask.

> my only excuse is i'm new to Scheme.

The best questions always come from a fresh perspective.  ;-)

--
Carl Eastlund
"Cynical, but technically correct."