[plt-scheme] some GUI questions

From: Dave Herman (dherman at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 27 19:30:07 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm still not very good at GUI programming with MrEd and the DrScheme
extension toolkit. I'm trying to implement a "debugging console" for my
JavaScript language level that instruments the inner workings of the
compiler and runtime for the curious user. But I'm sort of struggling.
Here are some of my questions:

- Is it possible to extend the menus of a language level? I see the
capability-value facility allows me to disable some of the default ones,
but can I add new ones? I'd like to add a "Display/Hide JavaScript Debug
Console" item.

- Is it possible to change the fonts of a text% or editor-canvas%?

- What is the proper way to handle the console's state? It should
ideally persist across multiple executions of a definitions window, but
there should be a separate console for each tab/window. Where would this
live? should there be a console field in the tool@ unit, in the
language<%> class instance, in a parameter...?

If it lives in a parameter, which thread should the parameter be
attached to? The mzscheme eventspace of on-execute, or the user
eventspace exposed by the run-in-user-thread argument? I started
experimenting, but then when I hit "Execute" a second time it caused
DrScheme to hang, at which point I decided to take a break. :)

Thanks,
Dave

Posted on the users mailing list.