[plt-scheme] File-Open Dialog suggestion

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Jun 25 00:04:42 EDT 2006

On Jun 24, Ittai Balaban wrote:
> The right-arrow keybinding, which forces immediate autocompletion,
> isn't convenient because usually by the time my finger reaches it
> the automatic completion has already taken place (Tab key is more
> conveniently located). So I stole the following idea from the gtk
> file dialog: As you type, select the closest-matching entry in the
> listbox (and scroll it accordingly).

It is doing that already -- when autocompletion happens, the listbox
shows only matching names.  So IIUC, you want this to happen
immediately and the actual text to be added on a delay.  The reason
some delay is needed is that narrowing the list box is expensive -- it
requires scanning the full list and filtering out names.  Maybe all
you need is a shorter delay for completion?

> I can play with this if you let me know where to find the sources.

Hack away... -- collects/mred/private/path-dialog.ss