[plt-scheme] Re: Appalling performance of DrScheme on Windows

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Wed Jun 21 10:39:28 EDT 2006

To add my findings: I experience bad response time and performance only
during and after garbage collection while running out of ram, even when only
requiring slightly more than available in ram. Typically a garbage
collection can take several minutes. Even after reducing memory requirements
and pressing run again, the garbage collector often, but not always, remains
thrashing whereas my code runs smoothly in the short periods the garbage
collector is not active. As a remedy, I quit DrScheme and begin a new
session. In some cases a program eating just a little more memory than
available in ram may run happily after a fresh start while not running at
all in a session with trashing history. A number of times I also have
experienced (with version 301) that after killing and quitting DrScheme and
checking that no threads were left running, other applications (MsWord,
OutlookExpress IpSwitch-FTP and Windows itself) remained having memory
problems, in which case I restart windows. In my case long idle times and
using help seem not to have any influence.

Data:
Windows XP home version 2002
AMD sempron 3100+, 1,81 GHz, 1GB.
DrScheme's version 350 programming environment with MzScheme for language,
mostly without debugging.

((((lambda(x)((((((x x)x)x)x)x)x))
   (lambda(x)(lambda(y)(x(x y)))))
  (lambda(x)(write x)x))