[plt-scheme] v350 install glitch

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jun 20 16:23:04 EDT 2006

On Jun 20, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> I have to ask our sysadmin people to install PLT Scheme on our
> undergraduate computing environment, and they are having problems with
> v350.

Which OS?  Which installer?  What kind of installation?

> They get the following error message:
>
> ./setup-plt: test: argument expected

Why did the sysadmin run setup-plt?

> The sysadmin says:
>
> > Followed install instructions for drscheme-350

Which instructions?

> > and specified a single directory for installing everything. The
> > script would then unpack all the files into the specified
> > directory.  In this case a directory called
> > /software/drscheme-350/distribution. Then proceded to the bin
> > directory to finish setup as per usual (i.e. setup-plt).  The
> > failure is in the test for the while.  The "-L" test just looks to
> > see if the file exists and is a link.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks. --PR

I'm *guessing* that this is some central installation on some Unix
(Solaris?) machine, using the .sh installer, running in the simple
mode (not the new unix-style thing), and making links for launchers in
`bin'.

If this is true, then it would be useful to know which place had
instructions that said that setup-plt should be used.  It would also
be useful to know the kind of system and the directory structure since
the code in launchers that is supposed to find the binaries should
definitley not get into an infinite loop.  (Please reply to me
directly, or have the sysadmin do so.)