[plt-scheme] Appalling performance of DrScheme on Windows

From: Erich Rast (erich at snafu.de)
Date: Tue Jun 20 03:53:33 EDT 2006

Am 20.06.2006 um 07:22 schrieb Joshua Zucker:

> I also (on mac mini, os X 10.3, 512MB) get this sort of behavior: if I
> leave it open for a few days without touching it, the response time
> gets awful, and I then end up just quitting and restarting.

I can't speak for Windows, but I've been working with DrScheme on a 512
MB Powerbook G4 for quite some time. In my experience the bad response
time results from lack of physical RAM. Using DrScheme3m helps a bit,
but the problem only goes away completely after upgrading to more RAM.
OS X with only 512 MB RAM will cause DrScheme to use swap heavily after
some time.

The garbage collector slows down to a crawl whenever virtual memory is
used. There might also be some subtile memory leaks in the DrScheme
IDE, because quitting DrScheme and reloading usually helps. But in
general bad performance under low memory conditions is quite normal;
I've seen the same issue in CommonLisp systems.

Best regards,

Erich

Posted on the users mailing list.