[plt-scheme] Appalling performance of DrScheme on Windows

From: Jepri (jepri at alphacomplex.org)
Date: Mon Jun 19 23:47:33 EDT 2006

Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> This sounds indeed like an appalling response time and it makes me
> wonder why some 10,000 people are using DrScheme on Windows. Now I am
> using DrScheme on Windows XP only via Virtual PC on a Mac OS X laptop
> and it runs very nicely there. On my Mac, I am running "large"
> programs (up to 5,000 lines, threaded) in DrScheme, leave the
> environment open for days and weeks at a time, and haver very few
> problems of this kind.

Users will often silently tolerate some suprisingly bad program
behaviour if they like the program enough.  When asked why they didn't
report the problem they just shrug.

e.g. PLT Scheme often locks up my WinXP laptop for a short while when I
use it after my laptop recovers from hibernation.  CPU use goes to 100,
the disc starts chittering and all windows owned by DrScheme and
MzScheme stop responding.  This has continued since 299 on three
laptops.  I didn't report it because I couldn't reliably reproduce it
and I don't know how to inspect a windows system like I can on Unix.

machines:  3.2 Ghz Pentium w/ 1.25 Gb RAM, 1.5Ghz Pentium w/ 756 Mb RAM,
1.8 Ghz Celeron w/ 1.5Gb RAM.

This is most definately not just windows paging out - I am able to
switch away and bring Mozilla out of the page file while DrScheme is
twitching in the background.  It can continue for over a minute and
appears to take longer the more memory windows shows allocated to DrScheme.

After about 3 days of this behaviour DrScheme will lock up completely
with the above symptoms.

Using the windows task killer on DrScheme results in a more intense disc
thrash for about 30 secs before the process finally quits.