[plt-scheme] Appalling performance of DrScheme on Windows

From: Chris Warrington (chrisw at rice.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 19 22:42:09 EDT 2006

Psy-Kosh @ 2006-6-19 8:04:00 PM
"[plt-scheme] Appalling performance of DrScheme on Windows" <mid:op.tbe3syyon0a9je at nimmachine.homeportal.2wire.net>

> It seems to especially happen if I minimize it for a while, so maybe
> something is going on that, when minimized, causes it to leak memory
> or somesuch?

Windows assumes that when you minimize an application, you won't need
it for a while, so it pages the application out. Perhaps this explains
the slow down?

I too have a laptop (a table PC) with 1GB of RAM and no page file. I
do notice that DrScheme uses comparative more memory than other
environments I use (Visual Studio, Eclipse). It also interacts oddly
with the tablet OS. Often (less often in later versions than the 29x
version), I have to use the Task Manager to kill DrScheme. DrScheme
doesn't release its memory and even prevents a shutdown or a logoff
when it is in this state.

--
Chris Warrington <chrisw at rice.edu>

You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.