[plt-scheme] Odd Auto-indenting

From: Doug Orleans (dougorleans at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 13:39:55 EDT 2006

Eli Barzilay writes:
 > On Jun 14, Chris Warrington wrote:
 > > What's up with weird auto-formatting in this snippet of code:
 > > (call-with-output-file
 > >     argument
 > >   (lambda (port) (dump-database (call-with-input-file
 > >                                     DATABASE
 > >                                   read-cookie-objects)
 > >                                 FORMAT
 > >                                 LINE_LENGTH
 > >                                 port))
 > >   'text
 > >   'truncate/replace)
 > >
 > > Notice especially the (call-with-input-file DATABASE read-cookie-objects)
 > > sexp. Now that's just weird.
 >
 > This is a very common indentation pattern -- call-with-input/output-file
 > have a "special" first argument, and then a body-like thunk.  Emacs
 > does the same too (and probably what inspired the indentation code in
 > DrScheme).

In particular, the "special" argument usually appears on the same line
as the procedure, but this indentation pattern will always indent the
non-"special" arguments with two spaces rather than lining them up
with the first argument (like a normal procedure).  You can change
this in DrScheme's indentation preferences dialog by moving
call-with-values to a different category (or removing it altogether):

"Lambda-like Keywords":

(call-with-input-file
    argument
  (lambda (port) ...))

(call-with-input-file argument
  (lambda (port) ...))

"Begin-like Keywords":

(call-with-input-file
  argument
  (lambda (port) ...))

(call-with-input-file argument
  (lambda (port) ...))

Neither:

(call-with-input-file
 argument
 (lambda (port) ...))

(call-with-input-file argument
                      (lambda (port) ...))

I don't know what the difference is between "Begin-like Keywords" and
"Define-like keywords".  In Emacs you can specify any number of
"special" arguments:

(put 'module 'scheme-indent-function 2)
(put 'syntax-case 'scheme-indent-function 2)
(put 'syntax-case* 'scheme-indent-function 3)

--dougorleans at gmail.com

Posted on the users mailing list.