[plt-scheme] testing modules

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 6 08:06:59 EDT 2006

Ryan Culpepper wrote:

> If you're using DrScheme, you could use the graphical test boxes
> (menu > Special > Insert Test Case).
>
> That works fine if the module language is one of the HTDP languages.

We're running in Pretty Big at this point, but from day one we've been
asking them to not use graphical boxes of any kind, because they don't
play well with automarking and treating their .ss files as text files
outside a DrScheme context.

Noel, in private e-mail, points out reasons why the sort of testing
they've been doing doesn't scale well, and since I'm introducing modules
in the context of a general discussion on scalability, this is an
important point to make. Perhaps I will sketch Schemeunit in a couple of
slides but not require them to use it. On the other hand, since they're
headed for Java, and JUnit would be useful to them, it might be worth
having them get a little practice in Schemeunit at this point. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.