[plt-scheme] lisp sans parentheses

From: Srikumar Subramanian (srikumarks at mac.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 00:13:22 EDT 2006

You can write this without parentheses
or special separators, just using whitespace -

a c f
   f r t
     d f t
       t y u

and I think that clarifies the nesting structure as well,
since as a programmer I'm used to reading "nesting"
whenever I see indentation. I'd actually write the lisp
version like this anyway -

(a c f
   (f r t
     (d f t
       (t y u))))

.. and I pointed out in a post I wrote long ago that
DrScheme helps lift the reading burden of the closing
parens. You can color the parentheses a very light grey
and the structure stands out beautifully. That's what I
use as my preferred syntax coloring. I've often paused
to reflect how beautiful the code looks!

Regards,
-Srikumar

On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:00 AM, plt-scheme-request at list.cs.brown.edu
wrote:

> My notation for reducing parentheses (which I used successfully in a
> large project in the 80's) was to treat
>   ( a c f / f r t / d f t / t y u)
> as
>   ( a c f ( f r t ( d f t ( t y u))))