[plt-scheme] `make install' and DESTDIR

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Jul 20 03:36:04 EDT 2006

On Jul 11, Ari Pollak wrote:
> Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > * Some packagers like to have some /usr/local/plt/site-collects or
> >   some equivalent directory added to the collection search path.
> >   Using the new configuration, it is now easy to do this for the
> >   collection searches *and* for documentation directories etc.
> >
> >   To do this, you need to write the information into the right
> >   place (collection directories embedded in the binaries, others
> >   in config/config.ss).  The tricky bit is that you want to
> >   recompile config.ss in a way that makes the resulting
> >   compiled/config.zo have the same time -- otherwise setup-plt
> >   will want to recompile everything that depends on it.
> How would one go about doing this?

Doing what -- recompiling config.ss and keeping the same time?  Just
recompile and change the time afterwards (not a good idea to do this,
but fine for this file).

> I would like to not have the Debian packages set PLTCOLLECTS just to
> add a path in /usr/local to the collects directories.

Alternatively, I asked for suggestions for some way of communicating
such information to the make process, so it can create the right file.
The only thing I can think of is environment variables for the extra
paths, but that will be awkward and difficult to use (I think).