[plt-scheme] Multiple network sockets on the same port?

From: Jepri (jepri at alphacomplex.org)
Date: Tue Jul 18 21:35:00 EDT 2006

The error:
..\actinic\actinic.ss::15268: tcp-connect: connection to 10.0.5.5, port
80 failed (at step 6: Only one usage of each socket address
(protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.; errno=10048)

I am writing web crawlers and file transfer agents using lots of
threads.  This error occurs when I try to shift a file using multiple
threads (to reduce latency).

I'm not quite sure what that error means.  If there has been a collision
of source ports, then something has gone very wrong in network layer.
But I think it means that I can't open two connections to the same port
on the same server.

If the latter, would it be possible to have that restriction lifted or
is it too fundamental to change?  It's very common to open multiple
connections to a server when doing web work.

yours,
Jeremy

Posted on the users mailing list.