[plt-scheme] Was HTDP 21.1.2 - Why I "don't" use the design recipe

From: wooks . (wookiz at hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 12:02:07 EDT 2006

wooks

>From: Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>
>To: "wooks ." <wookiz at hotmail.com>
>CC: plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu
>Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] Was HTDP 21.1.2 - Why I "don't" use the design
>recipe
>Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:32:32 -0400
>

>On Jul 13, 2006, at 5:31 AM, wooks . wrote:
>
>>For the benefit of anybody reading who thinks JSP stands for Java  Server
>>Pages,
>>JSP (Jackson Structured Programming) is a data structure based  approach
>>to program design. You diagrammize your input data  structures according
>>to some very simple conventions then you merge  the data structure
>>diagrams  into a program structure.  ... Etc.
>
>The data dimension of the design recipe is analogous to the Jackson
>Design. I have known JSP since the very early 1980s; I am that old,  too.

Let me make this categorically and absolutely clear... I started early
....very early... I'm not as old as you :)

>If the team had used JSP from the beginning, making the changes and
>maintaining the software would be -- EASY.

Yes and it was EASY for the guy who did it. It should have been me but I was
young and impressionable and was too busy acting like a "real programmer" so
I agreed with the rest of the team that called it mumbo jumbo and it got
passed on to a trainee of similar vintage who had been placed in another
team. It came back pretty quickly.

>But they didn't. They  mumbled around like most programmers. So they had
>s't on their hands.  And instead of starting with a good, high standard and
>convert other  pieces on a by need basis, they continue to muddle thru and
>create  more s't.

Yes but the sad thing is that it was a failure of management. There was no
will to integrate the training methodology into what the programming teams
did.

>Our goal is to first train programmers on how to do it right and then
>confront them with bad code and show them how to add decent modules  to
>that.
>
>;; ---
>
>Comments are BAD. Beginning Scheme and R6RS don't have the expressive
>power, however, to formulate and check "contracts". When we wrote the
>book, we didn't have the background to do things properly. Now we do.  So
>for now you are writing comments.
>
>;; ---
>
>Do I follow the DR for every thing I write? No. But guess what, every  time
>I spent major time on a bug, it's because I didn't follow it.  And then I
>hate myself.

It is an experience to which I too am becoming accustomed

>Thanks for accepting the design recipe. -- Matthias

Thanks for offering it. When I finish my degree and start my firm it is the
way things will be done.

Posted on the users mailing list.